Christmas Trees & Industrial Hemp
We are transitioning our father's Christmas tree farm (formerly known as Chris Burrell Tree Farm) on Big Ridge to grow industrial hemp.
Choose and cut Christmas trees and greenery for florists and nurseries are still available.
This summer we will plant our first crop of industrial hemp in partnership with East Coast Genetics.
Start the magic of Christmas by choosing and cutting the perfect Christmas tree!
At Sandy Gap Farm we offer quality Fraiser Fir Christmas trees. Available from 6 to 16 feet.
In the summer of 2018 we made the difficult decision to end the cultivation of Fraiser Fir Christmas trees. With the economic recession of 2008 and resulting fall in tree pricing, it is no longer a viable cash crop for us. While the market for live Christmas trees has rebounded some in the past few years, the intensive labor required during the winter months and slow turn around time to produce a tree ready for sale make it a difficult crop to continue.
We will continue selling choose & cut Christmas trees and greenery until our current crop is gone. We will not be planting any new trees.
After much research and consultation with NC's Industrial Hemp Pilot Program and East Coast Genetics, we have chosen to grow industrial hemp on the Big Ridge farmland instead.
Why Industrial Hemp? The Basics
- Industrial hemp (IH) has been a source of fiber and oilseed worldwide for centuries, producing a number of products.
- Production in the U.S. is strictly controlled under drug enforcement laws, and only in 2014 did the Farm Bill allow for growth of IH as part of agricultural pilot programs.
- In appearance the plant significantly resembles marijuana, but industrial hemp contains less than .3% of THC, which is the psychoactive compound in marijuana.
- IH is normally grown for 3 uses: seed, fiber, and floral material.
- Cannabidiol (CBD) promises to be the most exciting IH product for growers with a projected 2.1 billion in consumer sales by 2020.
- IH is a quick grow crop ready to harvest in a few short months.
Hemp Cultivation at Sandy Gap
We are a licensed Hemp Grower by the State of North Carolina.
Sandy Gap is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains at an elevation 4,200 ft. among the pristine woodlands of Nantahala National Forest. We grow quality hemp using organic practices. For the 2019 growing season we put 5 acres in cultivation of IH.
2019 Hemp Varieties Grown:
- Cherry Wine - Indica/Sativa hybrid with 13 - 16% AVG CBD content
- BaOx - Indica dominant strain with 13 - 17% AVG CBD content
- Sweetened - Indica/Sativa hybrid with 10 - 14% AVG CBD content
COAs available for our dried hemp bud and biomass.
Please direct wholesale inquiries to Elizabeth at 828-293-5936 or 828-507-9424 (cell).